Monday, June 13, 2005

Making an Independent Run at Governor

It's been over six years since Jesse Ventura ran for gubernatorial office as an independent and won. Can it happen again?

It could. Although still considered a long shot, independent candidate for Governor of Virginia, Russ Potts, turned in enough signatures to be placed on the ballot. He hopes to find winning support amongst moderate Republicans and centrist independents, although he could also sway a number of moderate Democrats who are tired of politics as usual. Charging RINO has a full report on Potts' efforts.

Meanwhile, down in Texas, humorist/musician/cowboy Kinky Friedman is running for governor. Positioning himself as an independent-spirit who will return Texas to its staunchly independent roots, Friedman is trying to jumpstart a state where less than 30% of registered voters show up to the polls.

The chances of Friedman actually winning in 2006, or even coming close, are probably remote. But he could provide a much-needed spark to a state where politics has become uncharacteristically bland. And goodness knows he’s got off to an early enough start that, by the time the Republicans are tearing each other up in the primaries, Friedman might look pretty good.

I, for one, will give Friedman a serious look when I return to my home state this fall. And I hope Virginia residents do the same for Potts. Some say that voting for an independent candidate is throwing your vote away. But the only real way to throw your vote away is to not vote at all.

3 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Rob Jackson said...

Especially since Kinky's campaign slogan is "Why the hell not?"

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Texan here who intends to vote for Kinky. I voted for Nader in 2000, Kerry in 2004, and in 2002 I voted for the Greens' gubernatorial candidate, so that probably gives you an idea of my political outlook. I'm not a centrist but I am an independent. I'll likely vote in the Republican gubernatorial primary next year, but in November I'm voting for Kinky. I hope you all continue to report on his campaign.

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Previous anonymous:

If you vote in the March primary you aren't eligible to sign the petition to get Kinky on the ballot. Think carefully about where your vote is most valuable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home