Thursday, September 29, 2005

Roberts Roll Call: How did Hillary and Obama Vote??

Good old C-Span. No surprise in John Roberts' confirmation; what I urgently wanted to know is which Democrats voted against, and which for him. C-Span has it, God bless 'em. I can't help thinking this vote shows where certain Dems' hearts really are. I am hoping, in particular, that Obama voted YES. My heart's in my throat. I haven't gotten there yet. Let's see:

Mike DeWine voted YES. Robert Byrd voted YES. Russ Feingold voted YES, as did fellow Wisconsin Senator Kohl. Hillary Clinton voted NO!! Aha, a jog and curtsey toward the base, the obsequious little dance of the presidential candidate -- also performed by Joe Biden and Evan Bayh. Chris Dodd voted YES. North and South Dakotans, Dorgan and Johnson voted YES. Landrieu, Leahy, Levin, all YES. Joe Lieberman, Lincoln and Pryor (both Arkansas), Patty Murray, Ben Nelson of Nebraska and Bill Nelson of Florida, YES.

Obama, NO.

Oh, I am bitterly disappointed.

Jay Rockefeller, Ken Salazar, Wyden of Oregon, YES. I think that's everybody, but go see. I'm depressed.

(For those positioning themselves for a future beyond the Senate, these votes are carefully weighed political moves, don't you think? I had hoped that Obama would throw his weight to the center. Guess not. Who loses, the center or Obama?)

8 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger AubreyJ......... said...

Those poor Dems are walking a tight line… Some had to vote no are they would have been trying to pull cash out of their backside because none of that far Left Money would be there for them during their next elections…… Obama will throw his weight to the center when it’s needed… Today wasn’t one of them… And I would think that from a left to center point of view as he… it was a good move on his part… Disappointing neverless.
By the way-- I’m a big fan of C-SPAN too…
(I had to watch Brown getting drilled twice on C-Span… Once live and the 2nd time near 4:00 in the morning… I did this just to get the full scope of what was really going on at all political fronts. What a mess.)
AubreyJ………

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Apuuli said...

I am over the Democrats... I am sending an email now to let the DCCC and all my Democratic representatives know that i am withdrawing my support of the Democratic Party, that i am changing my party affiliation to either Independent or Green Party, and that they will no longer be able to count on my vote!

Thanks for the Roll Call info! I am saddened by Obama's yes vote.

Peace

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Alan Stewart Carl said...

I was very curious to see if the Democrats planning a White House run were Statesmen or Politicians. Turns out they are all politicians, Obama and Hillary included. I never once heard a reasonable reason why Roberts is unqualified. All the left's complaints seem to be based on wild conjecture. Must a candidate share ALL the views of the left to be considered qualified? Does the left even recognize the validity of counter opinions any more? (not to say the right is any better).

Ah well.

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone who is truly disappointed by this may be interested in Obama's discussion of his position and issues relating to his vote here.

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Other than Severian, you people are clueless. You can't just jump to conclusions without information. You just *assume* he's being political because he voted "no?" *Read* his position on the Roberts nomination. It's not partisan. It's not rhetoric. It's reasoned, and quite reasonable.

If you don't make the effort to educate yourselves on these things, you're just a bunch of ignorant blowhards spounting off.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Alan Stewart Carl said...

anonymous at 9:57 am --- if you don't make an effort to debate politely, you are more a detriment to the debate than us blowhards.

I read Obama's statement--very well written and I do not doubt that this was a difficult decision for the man. But I also do not doubt that he made a political judgment call. A "yes" vote would have hurt him tremendously with the base but not gained him much with the general electorate.

A "no" vote was, in the end, the easier path.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Ma Tiny said...

people voted no because in his career, john roberts has come out against such things as birth control pills for married couples and fair and speedy trials, as recommended by, oh, the constitution.

and he's not sorry he did it. that's not the kind of person most americans want as one of the most powerful people in our country for the next thirty years.

it's the kind of person far-right extremist republicans want.

apuuli, if you're such a green-independent, why are you letting republicans tell you what to think? good riddance.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Faith Peters said...

Hello mate, nice blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home