Friday, June 24, 2005

Spurs Win it All!

I love the San Antonio Spurs. Can’t help it. They’re my team. And watching them take care of business in Game Seven and win the championship was the most exhilarating sports moment of my life (just nudging out the Cowboys 1993 Super Bowl win).

Pounding out a 81-74 win the Spurs proved they were the better team in this Finals. And what a Finals it was. Four blowouts followed by three of the hardest fought NBA games I’ve ever seen. And the end was sweet. The end was perfect.

Give Detroit its due, though. This is a great team with great players and a defense that clamps down with infuriating skill. But it was San Antonio twisting the vice at the end of this game. Bruce Bowen’s block on Chauncey Billups' 3-pointer near the end of the fourth quarter was one of the most incredible defensive plays of the series.

Also, I want to say a word about Finals MVP Tim Duncan. If the Spurs had lost, he’d have been blamed. But they won, so let me be the first to say that Duncan deserves all the praise and all the awards. At what point do we start considering him one of the top 10 players of all time? The man didn’t have a lights-out game, but he led his team down the stretch and proved he is a true champion.

Ah, the joy. An NBA championship. How I wish I was already back in San Antonio. How I relish watching the championship banner raised next season. To all my friends and all my neighbors back in San Antonio, all I gotta say is : Go Spurs Go.

3 Comments:

At 2:31 AM, Blogger Robert Rouse said...

I was with you all the way on this . . . well, that is to say, all the way after the Pacers were eliminated. Congratulations to the SPURS!

GO ABA!

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger JMPerkins said...

Honestly I support the Spurs all the way. But I am too terrified by eminent domain ruling to care right now. sorry for the hijack... but i would really appreciate a post concenring your thoughts on eminent domain.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Rob Jackson said...

All I have to say is:

WARM 4th QUARTER DR. PEPPER

Downtown was rockin last night. We were all hugging and high-fivin each other...we were celebrating all night, baby!!!!

...check that, I was at home trying to go to sleep so I could at least get 4 hours of sleep before my dualing infants woke up

 

Post a Comment

<< Home