Thursday, June 09, 2005

What it Means to be a Centrist Republican

Centrists come in several kinds of packaging. There’s Centrist Democrats (a group we hear too little from). There’s plain ole Centrists like the writers here (defined by our status as having no party affiliation). And then there’s Centrist Republicans (a surprisingly common but increasingly agitated bunch).

What do Centrist Republicans believe? Well, Dennis Sanders over at the Moderate Republican has published part one of his Moderate Republican Manifesto. The three points discussed:

Centrist Republicans believe in fiscal responsibility

Centrist Republicans believe in a strong economy and a strong environment. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Centrist Republicans believe in diversity and equality.

Dennis provides one of the strongest voices in the blogosphere for moderate Republicans. And this is a great post.

2 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger Dennis Sanders said...

Aww, go on. I mean really, go on. ;)

You had a good question on my blog. I don't know if there is much difference between a plain ole Centrist and a Centrist Republican. I think Centrists have some of the same beliefs in both parties, but they have different ways of achieving it, maybe. I think Centrist Democrats would rely more on government than Centrist Republicans, just because both parties have some philosophical differences. But I think those differences are more bridgable for centrists of both parties, because they tend to see their philosohpies are guiding principles and are not hamstrung by them. Both flavors are centrists place country before party.

I guess that's my definition.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Alan Stewart Carl said...

Yeah, I think you're right. The further left you go in the Centrist spectrum the more faith there is in government solutions. But I think all Centrists believe in the need to balance Government responsibility with community/personal responsibility.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home