Thursday, July 28, 2005

Call it What You Want, This is Still a War

I actually wasn’t aware that the “War on Terror” was an official slogan. But it is, or I should say it was, because it has been retired by the White House in favor of the global struggle against extremism.

The Heritage Foundation thinks this is a good thing because it is a better definition of the conflict we face. For one, terrorism was too broad because it’s a tactic, not an ideology and “war” was too specific because this is not merely a military struggle.

But, to me, war isn’t just a military struggle. War is a clash of civilizations with both sides fighting to completely defeat the other—it includes all means used to wage that fight. The only reason I think this war has seemed to be merely a military conflict is that groups on one side refuse to admit this is a war at all while groups (and I’d include the administration here) on the other side refuse to admit that sacrifice needs to extend outside the military.

To me, this is a war. Not a conventional one for sure, but a war nonetheless.

As for “terror,” that’s always been too imprecise. But how is “extremism” that much better? What’s so wrong with calling this what it is. A war on Islamic fascism. Is that too politically incorrect? Too scary?

I don’t get it. I don’t understand why this has been downgraded from a war to a struggle. And I don’t understand why the Bush Administration does not want to specifically identify the enemy.

They can call this what they want. But it’s still a war. And the enemy is still Islamic fascism.

2 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

Interesting that the Bush admin is taking up this moniker given that they have pandered to the extreme right of American Christianity for the duration of both administrations.

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renaming the "war on terror" reminds me of the renaming of the "nuclear option".
A rose by any other name...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home